Monday, February 16, 2009

Best Chocolate Cake Ever?

I have been doing alot of cake testing lately because my brother Preston and his fiance Mindi are very trusting and asked me to make their wedding cake. This launched me into the world of cake making that I have not entered before. I have been trying all sorts of new recipes and decorating techniques. I love everything about baking and making cakes and I think my family and close friends are cursing me since my new cake creating efforts are not condusive to their New Years Resolutions. I have found alot of new recipes and some really fantastic ones! Thanks Preston and Mindi for the ultimate baking and creating excuse and oppertunity!

This chocolate cake is a Bobby Flay recipe and is extremely good. I have heard many people tell me "this is the best cake I have ever tasted." Living in Safford this isn't the most amazing of compliments but I will take them! It is a chocolate cake with a chocolate toffee ganache in the middle with a coconut butter cream icing! I love it but it is the richest thing I have ever partaken of. I think it would even be chocolate enough for you Aaron!




For Valentines Day some good friends of ours asked me to make a cake for her husband. I had alot of fun decorating it.
For the recipe for this fantastic cake go here. Please don't be intimidated to make this cake if you would like to. It is not difficult it is just about following the steps. It is one of those things that when you are done and everyone is raving about your baking skills you will be very glad and proud that you did it! Let me know if you have any questions about the recipe. I have made this cake 4 times so far and will make it many more times since I think this cake is the final decision for the wedding cake! So is this chocolate cake with chili powder, toffee, and coconut icing the best chocolate cake ever? Maybe not but it is pretty freakin good!
Here's to delicious cakes.... Happy Trails!

3 comments:

JessWilson said...

Oh my goodness! That cake looks heavenly and I love the decorating too!

Aaron Smith said...

Chocolate is just barely chocolate enough for me ;) I'll have to give this one a shot although there is no question that it tastes better coming out of your oven than mine :) One of my favorite chocolates happens to be an ancho pepper dark chocolate at a little shop in chicago. small world...

Sarah B. said...

Oh yum...and so pretty!!