Friday, January 29, 2010

Red Velvet Cake

The first cake I ever made from scratch was Red Velvet Cake a few years ago. After trying many different types of cakes, all of which are much more difficult, I have finally decided that, for now at least, Red Velvet Cake is definitely my favorite! It is simple, rich, and delicious. Today I made Red Velvet Cupcakes. I make them out of this recipe. For cupcakes, I half the cake batch and make a normal size batch for the frosting. I cant ensure that the universe is always fair but I can ensure that, in my baking universe at least, their is fairness and happiness. I also have figured out that cooking them at 325 degrees at 20 minutes/ dozen cupcakes does the trick.



The recipe is pretty straight forward. Please give it a try. Do it yourself, it is always better that way!



I used my amazing new cupcake decorating tips but there are many different creative ways to decorate the tops. I just cut a round hole in the corner of a ziploc bag for years and decorated them that way. There is always the kitchen knife standby.



Did anyone notice that I am using a Kitchenaide? Yep, Preston and Mindi let me borrow theirs to see if I liked using one and to help with the mass amounts of baking I plan on doing. Thanks Preston and Mindi! I think I am going to have to have one!

Nothing like some Friday afternoon baking to make it feel like the weekend. I survived my first full week of school!

4 comments:

Shannon said...

Those look awesome. I am now hungry and can taste the white chocolate frosting!

Allisun said...

YES! I went home and commented tonight, i am not a liar! the red velvet cupcakes which i just partook of were slash are slash always will be DELICIOUS! the end kthnxbye

LucyH said...

I still want to make a red velvet cake sometime. I get motivated every time you blog about!

Mindi Smith said...

yum yum. I want some cupcakes all of a sudden! I would like to place an order for valentines day delights. As many dozens as you can make us!