Monday, April 7, 2008

Goodbye Antiques!!!!

This Turtle Pie is the best pie I have ever tasted! It is super easy too! I wanted to make a turtle pie for my dads birthday and I got online and found this super easy wonderful recipe!
INGREDIENTS
1 cup pecans
1 (9 inch) pie shell, baked
1 cup sweetened condensed milk
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup butter
1/4 cup corn syrup
2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 tablespoons butter
1 egg yolk
3 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk

DIRECTIONS
Place pecans into bottom of pie shell.
To Make Filling: In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, cook condensed milk, brown sugar, butter and corn syrup. Stir and bring to a boil; stir continuously for at least 5 minutes. Remove from heat, then slowly beat with a spoon until mixture starts to thicken; will take about 2 minutes. Be sure not to over beat or it will harden too much. Pour mixture into pie shell; cover and refrigerate for about an hour. Filling ingredients may be halved to make for a less rich pie.
To Make Topping: In a medium saucepan, cook chocolate and butter over low heat until melted together. Stir in condensed milk; mix well. Remove from heat; allow to cool just enough so that yolk won't cook when added, but not so cool that the chocolate hardens; cooling time will be about 3 minutes. Stir in egg yolk to chocolate mixture; spread over cooled filling. Place pie back in refrigerator and cool for another hour.
I add whip cream to the top of the pie but I just think that whip cream adds to everything and with this recipe what is a few extra calories? It really is incredible you should give it a go!
My dad and I got this wild hair to clean out the garage so I could have a place to paint and do my crafts. We began early saturday morning and was not finished until saturday evening (and we are not even finished) My dad is a bit of an antique lover and we were so full that it was finally time to get rid of some of those old antiques! It was very hard for him but he did his best and we are alot better off now!
This is a before shot!

After Shot!
My new creative space!

Not much to look at yet but it will be eventually!

Our first load to the dump!

5 comments:

Stacy A. said...

Wowser, you guys did go crazy. I hope you didnt throw out anything mom wanted or she will give you the evil eye. No one wants that! How did you become so pretty and stylish? I wish you had been around to teach me back in the day. Only 2 weeks left, YAY! I can finally taste your turtle pie. By the way, us in blog land would love the recipe and some helpful hints. Its not fair to tease us like that. Love you!

Kenningtons said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kenningtons said...

Tessa, i had to delete my last comment because i didn't proof read before publishing it and one of my typos was a swear word! YIKES!! Anyway, i said you pie looks yummy and it is wonderful you have a space for all of your craftiness.
p.s. HI STACY!!!

CurlyPops said...

OMG how cool is all that space you have now!

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

I can't wait to see the creation of your studio. It's sort of like a physical blank canvas. How exciting!

There are a couple of good resouces that I found recently. Cloth Paper Scissors magazine have just released their annual studio edition which has lots of different studios to look at and ideas. Also there is a book called Organising Your Craft Room or something like that, that I bought on Amazon not that long ago that I really liked and helped me when I was setting up my new studio. I can get the proper details to you if you want them.

Have fun creating your space.