Friday, November 7, 2008

I am not a Vampire!

Yesterday all the evidence was gathered and the verdict is in... I am NOT a vampire! I must admit I suppose there was never much doubt but there were times when I thought there was a possibility. Yesterday, however, was the ultimate test and I passed... no vampiric genes in my blood. Speaking of blood, I gave blood yesterday! Since the giving of blood is the opposite of a vampires nature I considered that the ultimate test. I am a giver not a taker!


Since last year when I was of age to donate I would sign up for every blood drive trying to get myself to go but every time I would find an excuse not to go. I had many fairly good reasons numbered among them were the fact that I have tiny deep veins, an active strong fear of needles, and an impressive and malaria ridden travel log. I signed up again this time thinking that perhaps I would go and try. I had decided not to until suddenly my hands had a mind of their own and pulled into a parking spot. I walked in still utterly convinced that I would be able to donate, my iron would be too low, or they would tell me no because of the places I have been. I got there signed in and went through the step by step process. A lady came by at this point and made drink several bottles of water. Slowly I got closer and closer to the giving blood step. I had plenty of iron, which may I say is somewhat of a miracle because I do not eat green leafy things or anything that seems to have plenty of iron. The lady said that she has never seen a place with people that had so much iron... maybe we are all just super strong... or they are putting iron in the water that is what Julie (the nurse) thought. So since none of my travels excluded me from saving lives slash giving blood I was then led to a chair.


Tammude from Pakistan was the man I got to draw my blood. I sat there for a while while he was running about asking everyones questions. I thought this was a good sign but when I asked him if he was the best he said that he didn't have much skill at all and he didn't know why everyone asked him questions because he was not good at all. I think he was just humble but a little arrogance at this point would not have hurt. He then checked my veins and shot me concerned looks when he checked my arm. He said he would do his best. Around this time he looked at the paper and discovered my name was TESSA. From that point on whenever he would speak to me he would use my name. He would say "Tessa your doing great!" "Tessa, just move a little for me." "Tessa this may hurt a little". He said that I had the name of a super hero or a roman goddess. Now I like my name but I think that Roman Goddess may be just a bit far. He told me that if his wife was pregnant he would consider consider naming a girl Tessa... wow. He stuck me the first time and everything went great. I filled up the bag quick and felt great afterwards. Tammude did a great job and I wish him well with trying to get his Vet license. He was a vet in Pakistan but is trying to get the money to take the test so he can practice as a Vet here.


I now see that it was a silly fear, but it didn't seem silly at the time. I think it is a great easy way to give service. I am glad to do it but I am also glad that I was able to conquer something I was not sure if I could do. I was terrified of it but none-the-less I was able to do it anyway and now I am no longer afraid! So it was a great day, I conclusively determined that do not have vampiric genes, which honestly is quite the relief!

1 comment:

CurlyPops said...

That's fantastic that you finally got over your fear and made it through a donation. Yah for you...and thankyou from those of us that receive blood products each month!