Sunday, September 28, 2008

Only a steel man...

This last summer I had the oppertunity to spend a month at my grandparents cleaning out their old hardware store. It was a great experience to see where my mom grew up and spend some time there. Yesterday Simmons Hardware, the store that has been in my moms family for about 112 years closed. It was where my mom learned to work, it is where my grandpa spent his life serving the community he loved so much. It was a bitter sweet closing but it was time.

I made these neckaces yesterday out of some ball bearings I got out of the basement of the store... they were in a pile of old bike parts. I am thrilled with how they turned out...

This black one has little bearings with little buttons and of course they both needed a little superglue for support.
These are my first successful necklace attempts... please excuse the close up picture of me but I wanted you to be able to see the necklace on...






Happy Trails... HAVE A GREAT WEEK!

6 comments:

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

They look great. Your grandparents shop sounds so amazing.

Kenningtons said...

A four story PYLONES?!! HEAVEN! The necklaces are sooooo cute! Are you going to sell them?

Anonymous said...

those necklaces are adorable

Aaron Smith said...

That's an awesome memory to create! I live in fear and awe of your creative talent and gift giving threats ^_^ (my daughter would call you one of 'her girls' for the rest of forever though ;)

The Blakes said...

That is so cool and with sentimental value. You are amazing!

Regina said...

what a precious way to remember your family heritage and the time you spent there. The necklaces look really fun & it was nice to see how it looks on you.