Monday, August 30, 2010

Calligraphy

As a part of the tour, we got to see professionals doing calligraphy. It was amazing. I love Chinese characters because I do not know what they mean so they just look like art. They had brushes and ink for us to try to do it but it turns out that I do not know who to write in Mandarin so I signed my name in English and then the millions of photographers converged on us and I ran away. We each got to pick a piece of calligraphy we wanted and then we met the artist that did that particular piece. It was awesome to see true artists at work. I ended up with two pieces of calligraphy. One of them means tree and the other is something about the Chinese National Games in Guangzhou this year. I picked it because it looked cool and everyone laughed at it when they read it. I think it is quite obvious why i chose the tree one. 

I am home from vacation and very glad to be back. We had a great time in Shenzhen, the third largest city in China, but we missed our little Zhongshan with only 1.46 millions people. Wendy and I are going American hunting tomorrow because we know that the other ILP groups of teachers arrived yesterday. 

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Awesome!! You are amazing!

Allisun said...

That is what you were lacking, a huge calligraphy poster about trees. Life is just that much more complete now:)