Monday, August 23, 2010

Walking Street

Everyone from China says that Zhongshan is a little town but it does not seem very little to me. There are around a million people that live here. That is much bigger than I am used to. We live in a place called Kaiyin. There is a Kaiyin community bus that is for people from Kaiyin to ride into town and back. You usually need an ID card to show that you are a Kaiyin resident but apparently our skin, hair, height and language is our ID card. They know who we are and where we are from. That is nice because I cant misplace my nationality. I would definitely misplace an ID card. We ride the Kaiyin bus home everyday from school. We also take it into town on the weekend. The first picture is of all the people on the bus on our way to Walking Street which is a outdoor mall type place. The bus was completely full and I loved the dozens of black heads all in rows. Chinese people only have black hair or white hair for the older folks. I am getting more and more used to buses and waiting for buses. I am not accustomed to relying on public transportation as much as we have to here. However, I am so glad that we do not drive. The roads here are pure and utter mayhem. There are no rules just mere suggestions that are rarely followed. I love the crazy streets i just dont love crossing them. 

Walking Street is the place to go to find shoes, clothes, and other things like that. It is also the place I am going to go when I get the gumption to finally try an octopus kabob. It is in a really pretty part of town and we always attract a great deal of attention there. It may or may not have something to do with the fact that we always go in the middle of a dance floor that is set up and dance to the techno music that is always playing. People always ask us to take pictures with them or just take pictures of us without asking. It makes me laugh so hard that they want pictures of us. It reminds me of the song "Click Click Click Click" by Bishop Allen. So many Asians are going to have pictures of me in their computer and in their houses by the time I leave. We went to walking street the other day and everyone kept welcoming us to China. I love how friendly people are to us. They always talk to us in the little English that they may or may not know. At stores, we communicate by calculator. Everyone laughs when we try to say thank you in Mandarin so I am rather sure we are butchering it. I usually resort to a big smile. 

I have officially been in China for three weeks! It has been an eventful, terrifying, awesome, tiring, hysterically funny three weeks. Bring on seventeen more! 

1 comment:

azsmith said...

Stacy wants to see more pics of Asians.........she wonders where the millions of them are! Thanks for posting so often, it's great for me!