Thursday, August 26, 2010

Hello Moji

Yesterday we went to a new grocery store we had not been to before. It is called Vanguard. We pass it every day on the bus ride home and we finally decided to stop. It is my favorite grocery store I have been in so far. The rotten fruit smell is at a minimum in this place. Thank heavens for that! Before we checked out yesterday, Wendy and I decided to try some ice cream. We just picked the cheapest thing and, to our surprise, it was some of the best ice cream I have ever had! It turned out to be called Moji (MOACH-EE). It is a bit indescribable but I will try. It is rice dough with powdered sugar and flour on the outside with ice cream in the inside. It tastes like a marshmellow, sugar cookie, and ice cream all in one. We may or may not have went back to Vanguard today and got 2 more Moji's. They are just so cheap, about 25 cents each. In the picture, I am tactfully trying to hide my second Moji but to no avail. 

I have also been eating a lot of drinkable yogurt. I do not like yogurt usually but I love the liquid yogurt you can buy here. The picture is of my favorite kind. It has chunks of peach and oats inside. It is called cereal yogurt. It is possible that I have 5 in the fridge right now. There is a mystery that has been plaguing my brain. Why do all the countries I have visited have liquid yogurt and it is not readily available in America? I just dont understand and perhaps I never will. I am just grateful I can get it here and for the next four months! 

One of the hardest things about living here so far has been the food. I did not anticipate that being a struggle for me. I do really like Chinese food but I miss American food. I miss variety. We have the same thing for breakfast, lunch and dinner everyday. The semester starts next week and that means that we will start going to eat dinner at the other school. I think that will be good. Apparently we have options for dinner and our apartment wont be a cafeteria anymore. I look forward to that day. It is coming soon. For now, I am just grateful for the Chinese snack food that makes me very happy every time I eat it.

2 comments:

Kamala Crockett said...

The drinkable yogurt was my favorite too! I never tried the cereal kind though. I know exactly what you mean about the food...exactly!

LucyH said...

There is a drink called Kefir here in the US. I drank it for the probiotics and it tastes just like drinkable yogurt, so there you go! You'll have to try it. I have gotten it at sprouts I think and there are a bunch of different flavors. Pretty good.