Sunday, August 15, 2010

Hello 20th Birthday!

I was lucky enough to get to spend my 20th birthday in China this year! Not many people I know can say that they turned 20 in China. It was easily the strangest birthday I have ever had. It did not feel like my birthday. It was only our 4th day in our new city and the 2nd day teaching in our new school so I didnt know anyone. The school bought me a cake which was really nice of them. It looked beautiful and tasted disgusting. Mom thinks that there is a lesson in there somewhere. So in light of the disgusting cake, I broke out one of my precious packages of pudding that I brought and put some peanut butter cups on top. It tasted delicious. It was not the masterpiece that the owl cupcakes were for my 19th birthday but it had to do. At school I had the kids make owls because it was my birthday and I love owls. That turned out to be a disaster but I got some cute pictures.In all, it was a good day. It is nice to not be a teenager anymore.

3 comments:

Chellor said...

I love, love, love this post! I keep trying not to comment things like, "That's just like what happened when I moved to New York!" But you just keep having similar experiences that take me back and make me that much more excited for you! LIke the luggage, I feel your pain. The BDay Cake, I feel the love slash awkwardness! Anyway, I'll keep those to myself because this is your experience not reliving mine. :)

P.S. I tried to look at the pic of the boy holding his morbid owl, but his eyes kept getting in the way and freaking me out!

Shannon said...

When I read this I didn't catch the "I know" in the not many people I know sentence so I just read, not many people turn 20 in china. I thought...ya except for the billions of chinese people. But then I read it again and it made more sense.

Kamala Crockett said...

You have to find the birthday candles that look like a big flower. When you light it it's like a huge torch and then the flower opens and the happy birthday song plays. They are so cool I bought a bunch to bring home. Just remember to back away after you light it or you might catch your eyebrows on fire!!