Thursday, August 19, 2010

Cooking Lessons

Today was probably the best day I have had in China. This is why...
1. I had the most fun I have had teaching today. I made macaroni and string necklaces with the kids. I could see from my first group with only 3 kids that groups with 9 kids were going to be a disaster so I went and called in my Head Teacher for assistance and we had so much fun. It was still mayhem but having the extra help was amazing. I am also becoming more patient and better at teaching which helps a great deal. I really think that teaching may become my favorite part which would be amazing. 
2. We had cooking lessons with Michael (Mike-coal) our school cook. He is awesome and so very smiley. He taught us how to make deep fried dumplings. The best part is that we got to bring what we made home for dinner. I love those deep fried dumplings. They smelled like a Fair. I loved being in a Chinese Kitchen with HUGE woks and pans everywhere. I cannot wait until our lesson next week. Thursdays may become my favorite day.
3. We found margarine. This may not make your most grateful list but I am pretty darn happy. We have been looking and looking and margarine or butter are no where to be found. We finally found the grocery store that we have been on a rigid search for since last week. I have been dying for some cookies or some other baked good but we could not find any butter. Our worries are now over because today we did. I am now on a rigid search for brown sugar.
4. Wendy and I bought Badminton racquet's and birds (2 racquet's and 12 birds for 5 American dollars!). There are tons of old men at our apartment playing Badminton all the time and Wendy and I want to be like them. We went out and hit around tonight and it was awesome. I am so happy about my new prospective hobby.
5. I was not attacked my ninja assassins. It is always a good day when this doesn't happen. 
6. I am feeling more and more comfortable with China and living in it. I am getting in a routine and getting into my groove. That is always nice. 
7. Wendy and I sang El Scorcho by Weezer at a semi-loud volume at the bus stop today. That is always a true sign of a good day. 

The pictures are of our cooking lessons today and the dumplings we made. 


2 comments:

Joanna said...

I have been loving your posts about your China trip! I even subscribed so I could keep up:) (This is Stacy's friend Joanna in NH btw!) Oh and I wore the necklace I won from you to church - it was fabulous and the YW I teach loved it!!

Joanna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.