Friday, August 13, 2010

Hello 10,000 Buddha's

On our second day in Hong Kong we were able to roam the city as we pleased. We went on a ferry across the harbor and then we went in search of a hike on an island that is suppose to be like Hawaii. After a train and a bus ride we found out that the hike we wanted to go on would take 6 hours. There were two problems with this. The first problem is that I do not usually go on 6 hour hikes and particularly not when it is 100 degrees outside with 90% humidity. I quite possibly may have died. The second problem was that we did not have enough time to complete the hike. It was very lucky for me that there was problem #2 because not everyone in the group has problem #1. After our plans were spoiled, we saw signs along the road we were aimlessly walking on that said "10,000 Buddha's Buddhist Monastery". We had no idea what this place was but we decided to try it. We started along a trail that led up to a huge building on the top of this mountain.  We found that the "10,000 Buddha's Monastery" is just that. It is a Monastery that has 10,000 Buddha replicas. While we trudged along the thousands of stairs that led to the monastery was passed thousands of Buddhas. I would venture it say it is somewhere around 10,000 but I cannot be sure since I did not count. Each of the Buddhas were different in one way or another. It is very safe to say that I have never in my entire life sweat as much as I sweat on that hike up the mountain.  I am used to heat but not humidity in the smallest degree. I hope I can get used it before the end of my stay in China. The Monastery and the path that led to it were amazing! It ended up being one of my very favorite things about Hong Kong. I love happy accidents. After we got back from the mountain, dripping with sweat, we found a home goods mall with an Ikea in it that had air conditioning. Ikea saved my life that day. 

1 comment:

Chellor said...

Happy accidents are the BEST!