Monday, October 20, 2008

Books By My Bedside...

Today when I cleaned my room I found several large stacks of books scattered all around my bed. I even found some in my bed that I have been sleeping with... I am a deep sleeper apparently. Some of them will always be as near to me as they can possibly be and some are just first time reads on their way to the shelf. I love books and I love to have them near me. The mere sight of them is comforting.
My brother Preston introduced me to Billy last Christmas and I truly do appreciate this mans poetry. I love the pure simplicity of it. I like the language alot! I have to read enough confusing wordy poets for school and love to come home and read Billy! I enjoy reading him before bed... I have good dreams when I do!

What can I say about this lovely collection of Poems? They are all fabulous and you are never too old for them! His illustrations are great and his poems even better! I hope that I am never without this collection near me wherever I am!

This is one of my favorite poems...
I made myself a snowball As perfect as could be.
I thought I'd keep it as a pet And let it sleep with me.

I made it some pajamas And a pillow for its head.

Then last night it ran away, But first- it wet the bed

-Shel Silverstein



This is my man Langston Hughes and he is my favorite poet. I could write an expansive amount about him and his poetry but for every ones sake I wont. Just let me say that if you are not familiar with his poetry please because acquainted with him because it will be life changing and you will never be the same! Brilliant!


Then of course I have my bakers dozen of Dr. Seuss gems! I read them very frequently and love them more and more every time ! I have recently become a big fan of him as an artist as well. His illustrations are brilliant! Check out Mcelligot's pool if you want to see some beautiful art! Whats a bed side without Dr. Seuss?






This book is done by Lonely Planet and contains a page about EVERY COUNTRY IN THE WORLD! It has important facts about every single country on this lovely planet of ours. It talks about food, language, important facts, best times to visit (it even helps those of us who have time machines by explaining the best time to visit for example: the best time to visit Egypt would have been when the Egyptian empire was at its peak) It is very handy and I find myself looking at it probably more often than is healthy for a restless travel obsessed college student who has no money. I love it and every once in a while I will randomly flip to a page and decide that is where I am going next............ I am going to Mongolia today!


Inkheart is a great novel written for lovers of books........... that is quite obviously me so I thoroughly enjoyed it. It isn't groundbreaking no new territories explored here but pleasant and fantastical which is always a winning combination for me!

For those of you who do not know Neil Gaiman he is the author of Stardust. I liked stardust tolerably well and I LOVED Neverwhere which was simply fantastic and would suggest that you all read it! This is a collection of short stories and they are good. They are much like his books. They are twisted, dark, odd, but they work in a very positive way. I also like the cover of this edition, my copy doesn't have a cool cover like this!



I have already written about my Douglas Adams obsession so I wont go into it now but I could not leave this lovely volume off of the list. If you are ever going hitchhiking across the galaxy or trying to find the meaning of life take this on your journey it will help you find the answer to your question............. or just your question!

2 comments:

Stacy said...

Is that why your bed looks so lumpy, I thought it was you in there and it was your books. I'm glad you have so many to pull from when you need them, and if you ever need any other ideas call Doug and Stacy, they have about 10 bookshelves full of them! sss

Kenningtons said...

I'm right there with you on the Seuss thing. BRILLIANT man!!